USN-1457-1: Linux kernel vulnerabilities
31 May 2012
A security issue affects these releases of Ubuntu and its derivatives:
- Ubuntu 11.04
Several security issues were fixed in the kernel.
- linux - Linux kernel
Andy Adamson discovered a flaw in the Linux kernel’s NFSv4 implementation. A remote NFS server (attacker) could exploit this flaw to cause a denial of service. (CVE-2011-4131)
A flaw was found in the Linux kernel’s KVM (Kernel Virtual Machine) virtual cpu setup. An unprivileged local user could exploit this flaw to crash the system leading to a denial of service. (CVE-2012-1601)
A flaw was discovered in the Linux kernel’s KVM (kernel virtual machine). An administrative user in the guest OS could leverage this flaw to cause a denial of service in the host OS. (CVE-2012-2121)
Steve Grubb reported a flaw with Linux fscaps (file system base capabilities) when used to increase the permissions of a process. For application on which fscaps are in use a local attacker can disable address space randomization to make attacking the process with raised privileges easier. (CVE-2012-2123)
Schacher Raindel discovered a flaw in the Linux kernel’s memory handling when hugetlb is enabled. An unprivileged local attacker could exploit this flaw to cause a denial of service and potentially gain higher privileges. (CVE-2012-2133)
The problem can be corrected by updating your system to the following package versions:
- Ubuntu 11.04
- linux-image-2.6.38-15-generic - 2.6.38-15.60
- linux-image-2.6.38-15-generic-pae - 2.6.38-15.60
- linux-image-2.6.38-15-omap - 2.6.38-15.60
- linux-image-2.6.38-15-powerpc - 2.6.38-15.60
- linux-image-2.6.38-15-powerpc-smp - 2.6.38-15.60
- linux-image-2.6.38-15-powerpc64-smp - 2.6.38-15.60
- linux-image-2.6.38-15-server - 2.6.38-15.60
- linux-image-2.6.38-15-versatile - 2.6.38-15.60
- linux-image-2.6.38-15-virtual - 2.6.38-15.60
To update your system, please follow these instructions: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/Upgrades.
After a standard system update you need to reboot your computer to make all the necessary changes.