USN-2173-1: Linux kernel vulnerabilities
26 April 2014
A security issue affects these releases of Ubuntu and its derivatives:
- Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
Several security issues were fixed in the kernel.
- linux - Linux kernel
A flaw was discovered in the Linux kernel’s handling of the SCTP handshake. A remote attacker could exploit this flaw to cause a denial of service (system crash). (CVE-2014-0101)
An error was discovered in the Linux kernel’s DCCP protocol support. A remote attacked could exploit this flaw to cause a denial of service (system crash) or possibly execute arbitrary code. (CVE-2014-2523)
The problem can be corrected by updating your system to the following package versions:
- Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
- linux-image-2.6.32-58-386 - 2.6.32-58.120
- linux-image-2.6.32-58-generic - 2.6.32-58.120
- linux-image-2.6.32-58-generic-pae - 2.6.32-58.120
- linux-image-2.6.32-58-ia64 - 2.6.32-58.120
- linux-image-2.6.32-58-lpia - 2.6.32-58.120
- linux-image-2.6.32-58-powerpc - 2.6.32-58.120
- linux-image-2.6.32-58-powerpc-smp - 2.6.32-58.120
- linux-image-2.6.32-58-powerpc64-smp - 2.6.32-58.120
- linux-image-2.6.32-58-preempt - 2.6.32-58.120
- linux-image-2.6.32-58-server - 2.6.32-58.120
- linux-image-2.6.32-58-sparc64 - 2.6.32-58.120
- linux-image-2.6.32-58-sparc64-smp - 2.6.32-58.120
- linux-image-2.6.32-58-versatile - 2.6.32-58.120
- linux-image-2.6.32-58-virtual - 2.6.32-58.120
To update your system, please follow these instructions: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/Upgrades.
After a standard system update you need to reboot your computer to make all the necessary changes.
ATTENTION: Due to an unavoidable ABI change the kernel updates have been given a new version number, which requires you to recompile and reinstall all third party kernel modules you might have installed. If you use linux-restricted-modules, you have to update that package as well to get modules which work with the new kernel version. Unless you manually uninstalled the standard kernel metapackages (e.g. linux-generic, linux-server, linux-powerpc), a standard system upgrade will automatically perform this as well.