USN-2251-1: Linux kernel vulnerabilities
20 June 2014
A security issue affects these releases of Ubuntu and its derivatives:
- Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
Several security issues were fixed in the kernel.
- linux - Linux kernel
A bounds check error was discovered in the socket filter subsystem of the Linux kernel. A local user could exploit this flaw to cause a denial of service (system crash) via crafted BPF instructions. (CVE-2014-3144)
A remainder calculation error was discovered in the socket filter subsystem of the Linux kernel. A local user could exploit this flaw to cause a denial of service (system crash) via crafted BPF instructions. (CVE-2014-3145)
The problem can be corrected by updating your system to the following package versions:
- Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
- linux-image-2.6.32-62-386 - 2.6.32-62.125
- linux-image-2.6.32-62-generic - 2.6.32-62.125
- linux-image-2.6.32-62-generic-pae - 2.6.32-62.125
- linux-image-2.6.32-62-ia64 - 2.6.32-62.125
- linux-image-2.6.32-62-lpia - 2.6.32-62.125
- linux-image-2.6.32-62-powerpc - 2.6.32-62.125
- linux-image-2.6.32-62-powerpc-smp - 2.6.32-62.125
- linux-image-2.6.32-62-powerpc64-smp - 2.6.32-62.125
- linux-image-2.6.32-62-preempt - 2.6.32-62.125
- linux-image-2.6.32-62-server - 2.6.32-62.125
- linux-image-2.6.32-62-sparc64 - 2.6.32-62.125
- linux-image-2.6.32-62-sparc64-smp - 2.6.32-62.125
- linux-image-2.6.32-62-versatile - 2.6.32-62.125
- linux-image-2.6.32-62-virtual - 2.6.32-62.125
To update your system, please follow these instructions: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/Upgrades.
After a standard system update you need to reboot your computer to make all the necessary changes.
ATTENTION: Due to an unavoidable ABI change the kernel updates have been given a new version number, which requires you to recompile and reinstall all third party kernel modules you might have installed. If you use linux-restricted-modules, you have to update that package as well to get modules which work with the new kernel version. Unless you manually uninstalled the standard kernel metapackages (e.g. linux-generic, linux-server, linux-powerpc), a standard system upgrade will automatically perform this as well.