USN-2636-1: Linux kernel (Vivid HWE) vulnerabilities
10 June 2015
A security issue affects these releases of Ubuntu and its derivatives:
- Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
Several security issues were fixed in the kernel.
- linux-lts-vivid - Linux hardware enablement kernel from Vivid
Xiong Zhou discovered a bug in the way the EXT4 filesystem handles fallocate zero range functionality when the page size is greater than the block size. A local attacker could exploit this flaw to cause a denial of service (system crash). (CVE-2015-0275)
Wen Xu discovered a use-after-free flaw in the Linux kernel’s ipv4 ping support. A local user could exploit this flaw to cause a denial of service (system crash) or gain administrative privileges on the system. (CVE-2015-3636)
A memory corruption flaw was discovered in the Linux kernel’s scsi subsystem. A local attacker could potentially exploit this flaw to cause a denial of service (system crash). (CVE-2015-4036)
The problem can be corrected by updating your system to the following package versions:
- Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
- linux-image-3.19.0-20-generic - 3.19.0-20.20~14.04.1
- linux-image-3.19.0-20-generic-lpae - 3.19.0-20.20~14.04.1
- linux-image-3.19.0-20-lowlatency - 3.19.0-20.20~14.04.1
- linux-image-3.19.0-20-powerpc-e500mc - 3.19.0-20.20~14.04.1
- linux-image-3.19.0-20-powerpc-smp - 3.19.0-20.20~14.04.1
- linux-image-3.19.0-20-powerpc64-emb - 3.19.0-20.20~14.04.1
- linux-image-3.19.0-20-powerpc64-smp - 3.19.0-20.20~14.04.1
To update your system, please follow these instructions: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/Upgrades.
After a standard system update you need to reboot your computer to make all the necessary changes.
ATTENTION: Due to an unavoidable ABI change the kernel updates have been given a new version number, which requires you to recompile and reinstall all third party kernel modules you might have installed. If you use linux-restricted-modules, you have to update that package as well to get modules which work with the new kernel version. Unless you manually uninstalled the standard kernel metapackages (e.g. linux-generic, linux-server, linux-powerpc), a standard system upgrade will automatically perform this as well.