USN-3106-2: Linux kernel (Xenial HWE) vulnerability
20 October 2016
A security issue affects these releases of Ubuntu and its derivatives:
- Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
The system could be made to run programs as an administrator.
- linux-lts-xenial - Linux hardware enablement kernel from Xenial for Trusty
USN-3106-1 fixed vulnerabilities in the Linux kernel for Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. This update provides the corresponding updates for the Linux Hardware Enablement (HWE) kernel from Ubuntu 16.04 LTS for Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.
It was discovered that a race condition existed in the memory manager of the Linux kernel when handling copy-on-write breakage of private read-only memory mappings. A local attacker could use this to gain administrative privileges.
The problem can be corrected by updating your system to the following package versions:
- Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
- linux-image-4.4.0-45-generic - 4.4.0-45.66~14.04.1
- linux-image-4.4.0-45-generic-lpae - 4.4.0-45.66~14.04.1
- linux-image-4.4.0-45-lowlatency - 4.4.0-45.66~14.04.1
- linux-image-4.4.0-45-powerpc-e500mc - 4.4.0-45.66~14.04.1
- linux-image-4.4.0-45-powerpc-smp - 4.4.0-45.66~14.04.1
- linux-image-4.4.0-45-powerpc64-emb - 4.4.0-45.66~14.04.1
- linux-image-4.4.0-45-powerpc64-smp - 4.4.0-45.66~14.04.1
To update your system, please follow these instructions: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/Upgrades.
After a standard system update you need to reboot your computer to make all the necessary changes.
ATTENTION: Due to an unavoidable ABI change the kernel updates have been given a new version number, which requires you to recompile and reinstall all third party kernel modules you might have installed. Unless you manually uninstalled the standard kernel metapackages (e.g. linux-generic, linux-generic-lts-RELEASE, linux-virtual, linux-powerpc), a standard system upgrade will automatically perform this as well.