USN-3126-1: Linux kernel vulnerabilities
11 November 2016
A security issue affects these releases of Ubuntu and its derivatives:
- Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
Several security issues were fixed in the kernel.
- linux - Linux kernel
Ondrej Kozina discovered that the keyring interface in the Linux kernel contained a buffer overflow when displaying timeout events via the /proc/keys interface. A local attacker could use this to cause a denial of service (system crash). (CVE-2016-7042)
Dmitry Vyukov discovered a use-after-free vulnerability during error processing in the recvmmsg(2) implementation in the Linux kernel. A remote attacker could use this to cause a denial of service (system crash) or possibly execute arbitrary code. (CVE-2016-7117)
The problem can be corrected by updating your system to the following package versions:
- Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
- linux-image-3.2.0-115-generic - 3.2.0-115.157
- linux-image-3.2.0-115-generic-pae - 3.2.0-115.157
- linux-image-3.2.0-115-highbank - 3.2.0-115.157
- linux-image-3.2.0-115-omap - 3.2.0-115.157
- linux-image-3.2.0-115-powerpc-smp - 3.2.0-115.157
- linux-image-3.2.0-115-powerpc64-smp - 3.2.0-115.157
- linux-image-3.2.0-115-virtual - 3.2.0-115.157
- linux-image-generic - 18.104.22.168.131
- linux-image-generic-pae - 22.214.171.124.131
- linux-image-highbank - 126.96.36.199.131
- linux-image-omap - 188.8.131.52.131
- linux-image-powerpc - 184.108.40.206.131
- linux-image-powerpc-smp - 220.127.116.11.131
- linux-image-powerpc64-smp - 18.104.22.168.131
- linux-image-virtual - 22.214.171.124.131
To update your system, please follow these instructions: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/Upgrades.
After a standard system update you need to reboot your computer to make all the necessary changes.
ATTENTION: Due to an unavoidable ABI change the kernel updates have been given a new version number, which requires you to recompile and reinstall all third party kernel modules you might have installed. Unless you manually uninstalled the standard kernel metapackages (e.g. linux-generic, linux-generic-lts-RELEASE, linux-virtual, linux-powerpc), a standard system upgrade will automatically perform this as well.