USN-3127-1: Linux kernel vulnerabilities
11 November 2016
A security issue affects these releases of Ubuntu and its derivatives:
- Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
Several security issues were fixed in the kernel.
- linux - Linux kernel
It was discovered that the compression handling code in the Advanced Linux Sound Architecture (ALSA) subsystem in the Linux kernel did not properly check for an integer overflow. A local attacker could use this to cause a denial of service (system crash). (CVE-2014-9904)
Kirill A. Shutemov discovered that memory manager in the Linux kernel did not properly handle anonymous pages. A local attacker could use this to cause a denial of service or possibly gain administrative privileges. (CVE-2015-3288)
Vitaly Kuznetsov discovered that the Linux kernel did not properly suppress hugetlbfs support in X86 paravirtualized guests. An attacker in the guest OS could cause a denial of service (guest system crash). (CVE-2016-3961)
Ondrej Kozina discovered that the keyring interface in the Linux kernel contained a buffer overflow when displaying timeout events via the /proc/keys interface. A local attacker could use this to cause a denial of service (system crash). (CVE-2016-7042)
The problem can be corrected by updating your system to the following package versions:
- Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
- linux-image-3.13.0-101-generic - 3.13.0-101.148
- linux-image-3.13.0-101-generic-lpae - 3.13.0-101.148
- linux-image-3.13.0-101-lowlatency - 3.13.0-101.148
- linux-image-3.13.0-101-powerpc-e500 - 3.13.0-101.148
- linux-image-3.13.0-101-powerpc-e500mc - 3.13.0-101.148
- linux-image-3.13.0-101-powerpc-smp - 3.13.0-101.148
- linux-image-3.13.0-101-powerpc64-emb - 3.13.0-101.148
- linux-image-3.13.0-101-powerpc64-smp - 3.13.0-101.148
- linux-image-generic - 18.104.22.168.109
- linux-image-generic-lpae - 22.214.171.124.109
- linux-image-lowlatency - 126.96.36.199.109
- linux-image-powerpc-e500 - 188.8.131.52.109
- linux-image-powerpc-e500mc - 184.108.40.206.109
- linux-image-powerpc-smp - 220.127.116.11.109
- linux-image-powerpc64-emb - 18.104.22.168.109
- linux-image-powerpc64-smp - 22.214.171.124.109
- linux-image-virtual - 126.96.36.199.109
To update your system, please follow these instructions: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/Upgrades.
After a standard system update you need to reboot your computer to make all the necessary changes.
ATTENTION: Due to an unavoidable ABI change the kernel updates have been given a new version number, which requires you to recompile and reinstall all third party kernel modules you might have installed. Unless you manually uninstalled the standard kernel metapackages (e.g. linux-generic, linux-generic-lts-RELEASE, linux-virtual, linux-powerpc), a standard system upgrade will automatically perform this as well.