USN-3151-1: Linux kernel vulnerability
5 December 2016
A security issue affects these releases of Ubuntu and its derivatives:
- Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
The system could be made to crash or run programs as an administrator.
- linux - Linux kernel
Philip Pettersson discovered a race condition in the af_packet implementation in the Linux kernel. A local unprivileged attacker could use this to cause a denial of service (system crash) or run arbitrary code with administrative privileges.
The problem can be corrected by updating your system to the following package versions:
- Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
- linux-image-4.4.0-53-generic - 4.4.0-53.74
- linux-image-4.4.0-53-generic-lpae - 4.4.0-53.74
- linux-image-4.4.0-53-lowlatency - 4.4.0-53.74
- linux-image-4.4.0-53-powerpc-e500mc - 4.4.0-53.74
- linux-image-4.4.0-53-powerpc-smp - 4.4.0-53.74
- linux-image-4.4.0-53-powerpc64-emb - 4.4.0-53.74
- linux-image-4.4.0-53-powerpc64-smp - 4.4.0-53.74
- linux-image-generic - 126.96.36.199.56
- linux-image-generic-lpae - 188.8.131.52.56
- linux-image-lowlatency - 184.108.40.206.56
- linux-image-powerpc-e500mc - 220.127.116.11.56
- linux-image-powerpc-smp - 18.104.22.168.56
- linux-image-powerpc64-emb - 22.214.171.124.56
- linux-image-powerpc64-smp - 126.96.36.199.56
To update your system, please follow these instructions: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/Upgrades.
After a standard system update you need to reboot your computer to make all the necessary changes.
ATTENTION: Due to an unavoidable ABI change the kernel updates have been given a new version number, which requires you to recompile and reinstall all third party kernel modules you might have installed. Unless you manually uninstalled the standard kernel metapackages (e.g. linux-generic, linux-generic-lts-RELEASE, linux-virtual, linux-powerpc), a standard system upgrade will automatically perform this as well.