USN-3167-1: Linux kernel vulnerabilities
11 January 2017
A security issue affects these releases of Ubuntu and its derivatives:
- Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
Several security issues were fixed in the kernel.
- linux - Linux kernel
Dmitry Vyukov discovered that the KVM implementation in the Linux kernel did not properly initialize the Code Segment (CS) in certain error cases. A local attacker could use this to expose sensitive information (kernel memory).
Baozeng Ding discovered a race condition that could lead to a use-after- free in the Advanced Linux Sound Architecture (ALSA) subsystem of the Linux kernel. A local attacker could use this to cause a denial of service (system crash). (CVE-2016-9794)
The problem can be corrected by updating your system to the following package versions:
- Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
- linux-image-3.2.0-120-generic - 3.2.0-120.163
- linux-image-3.2.0-120-generic-pae - 3.2.0-120.163
- linux-image-3.2.0-120-highbank - 3.2.0-120.163
- linux-image-3.2.0-120-omap - 3.2.0-120.163
- linux-image-3.2.0-120-powerpc-smp - 3.2.0-120.163
- linux-image-3.2.0-120-powerpc64-smp - 3.2.0-120.163
- linux-image-3.2.0-120-virtual - 3.2.0-120.163
- linux-image-generic - 188.8.131.52.135
- linux-image-generic-pae - 184.108.40.206.135
- linux-image-highbank - 220.127.116.11.135
- linux-image-omap - 18.104.22.168.135
- linux-image-powerpc-smp - 22.214.171.124.135
- linux-image-powerpc64-smp - 126.96.36.199.135
- linux-image-virtual - 188.8.131.52.135
To update your system, please follow these instructions: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/Upgrades.
After a standard system update you need to reboot your computer to make all the necessary changes.
ATTENTION: Due to an unavoidable ABI change the kernel updates have been given a new version number, which requires you to recompile and reinstall all third party kernel modules you might have installed. Unless you manually uninstalled the standard kernel metapackages (e.g. linux-generic, linux-generic-lts-RELEASE, linux-virtual, linux-powerpc), a standard system upgrade will automatically perform this as well.