USN-3248-1: Linux kernel vulnerability
29 March 2017
linux, linux-ti-omap4 vulnerability
A security issue affects these releases of Ubuntu and its derivatives:
- Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
The system could be made to crash or run programs as an administrator.
- linux - Linux kernel
- linux-ti-omap4 - Linux kernel for OMAP4
It was discovered that the xfrm framework for transforming packets in the Linux kernel did not properly validate data received from user space. A local attacker could use this to cause a denial of service (system crash) or execute arbitrary code with administrative privileges.
The problem can be corrected by updating your system to the following package versions:
- Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
- linux-image-3.2.0-125-generic - 3.2.0-125.168
- linux-image-3.2.0-125-generic-pae - 3.2.0-125.168
- linux-image-3.2.0-125-highbank - 3.2.0-125.168
- linux-image-3.2.0-125-omap - 3.2.0-125.168
- linux-image-3.2.0-125-powerpc-smp - 3.2.0-125.168
- linux-image-3.2.0-125-powerpc64-smp - 3.2.0-125.168
- linux-image-3.2.0-125-virtual - 3.2.0-125.168
- linux-image-3.2.0-1503-omap4 - 3.2.0-1503.130
- linux-image-generic - 18.104.22.168.140
- linux-image-generic-pae - 22.214.171.124.140
- linux-image-highbank - 126.96.36.199.140
- linux-image-omap - 188.8.131.52.140
- linux-image-omap4 - 184.108.40.2063.98
- linux-image-powerpc-smp - 220.127.116.11.140
- linux-image-powerpc64-smp - 18.104.22.168.140
- linux-image-virtual - 22.214.171.124.140
To update your system, please follow these instructions: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/Upgrades.
After a standard system update you need to reboot your computer to make all the necessary changes.
ATTENTION: Due to an unavoidable ABI change the kernel updates have been given a new version number, which requires you to recompile and reinstall all third party kernel modules you might have installed. Unless you manually uninstalled the standard kernel metapackages (e.g. linux-generic, linux-generic-lts-RELEASE, linux-virtual, linux-powerpc), a standard system upgrade will automatically perform this as well.