USN-3338-1: Linux kernel vulnerabilities
21 June 2017
A security issue affects these releases of Ubuntu and its derivatives:
- Ubuntu 12.04 ESM
Several security issues were fixed in the Linux kernel.
- linux - Linux kernel
It was discovered that the stack guard page for processes in the Linux kernel was not sufficiently large enough to prevent overlapping with the heap. An attacker could leverage this with another vulnerability to execute arbitrary code and gain administrative privileges (CVE-2017-1000364)
Jesse Hertz and Tim Newsham discovered that the Linux netfilter implementation did not correctly perform validation when handling 32 bit compatibility IPT_SO_SET_REPLACE events on 64 bit platforms. A local unprivileged attacker could use this to cause a denial of service (system crash) or execute arbitrary code with administrative privileges. (CVE-2016-4997)
The problem can be corrected by updating your system to the following package versions:
- Ubuntu 12.04 ESM
- linux-image-3.2.0-128-generic - 3.2.0-128.173
- linux-image-3.2.0-128-generic-pae - 3.2.0-128.173
- linux-image-3.2.0-128-highbank - 3.2.0-128.173
- linux-image-3.2.0-128-omap - 3.2.0-128.173
- linux-image-3.2.0-128-powerpc-smp - 3.2.0-128.173
- linux-image-3.2.0-128-powerpc64-smp - 3.2.0-128.173
- linux-image-3.2.0-128-virtual - 3.2.0-128.173
- linux-image-generic - 188.8.131.52.142
- linux-image-generic-pae - 184.108.40.206.142
- linux-image-highbank - 220.127.116.11.142
- linux-image-omap - 18.104.22.168.142
- linux-image-powerpc-smp - 22.214.171.124.142
- linux-image-powerpc64-smp - 126.96.36.199.142
- linux-image-virtual - 188.8.131.52.142
To update your system, please follow these instructions: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/Upgrades.
After a standard system update you need to reboot your computer to make all the necessary changes.
ATTENTION: Due to an unavoidable ABI change the kernel updates have been given a new version number, which requires you to recompile and reinstall all third party kernel modules you might have installed. Unless you manually uninstalled the standard kernel metapackages (e.g. linux-generic, linux-generic-lts-RELEASE, linux-virtual, linux-powerpc), a standard system upgrade will automatically perform this as well.