USN-3444-2: Linux kernel (Xenial HWE) vulnerabilities
10 October 2017
A security issue affects these releases of Ubuntu and its derivatives:
- Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
Several security issues were fixed in the Linux kernel.
- linux-lts-xenial - Linux hardware enablement kernel from Xenial for Trusty
USN-3444-1 fixed vulnerabilities in the Linux kernel for Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. This update provides the corresponding updates for the Linux Hardware Enablement (HWE) kernel from Ubuntu 16.04 LTS for Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.
Jan H. Schönherr discovered that the Xen subsystem did not properly handle block IO merges correctly in some situations. An attacker in a guest vm could use this to cause a denial of service (host crash) or possibly gain administrative privileges in the host. (CVE-2017-12134)
Andrey Konovalov discovered that a divide-by-zero error existed in the TCP stack implementation in the Linux kernel. A local attacker could use this to cause a denial of service (system crash). (CVE-2017-14106)
Otto Ebeling discovered that the memory manager in the Linux kernel did not properly check the effective UID in some situations. A local attacker could use this to expose sensitive information. (CVE-2017-14140)
The problem can be corrected by updating your system to the following package versions:
- Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
- linux-image-4.4.0-97-generic - 4.4.0-97.120~14.04.1
- linux-image-4.4.0-97-generic-lpae - 4.4.0-97.120~14.04.1
- linux-image-4.4.0-97-lowlatency - 4.4.0-97.120~14.04.1
- linux-image-4.4.0-97-powerpc-e500mc - 4.4.0-97.120~14.04.1
- linux-image-4.4.0-97-powerpc-smp - 4.4.0-97.120~14.04.1
- linux-image-4.4.0-97-powerpc64-emb - 4.4.0-97.120~14.04.1
- linux-image-4.4.0-97-powerpc64-smp - 4.4.0-97.120~14.04.1
- linux-image-generic-lpae-lts-xenial - 184.108.40.206.81
- linux-image-generic-lts-xenial - 220.127.116.11.81
- linux-image-lowlatency-lts-xenial - 18.104.22.168.81
- linux-image-powerpc-e500mc-lts-xenial - 22.214.171.124.81
- linux-image-powerpc-smp-lts-xenial - 126.96.36.199.81
- linux-image-powerpc64-emb-lts-xenial - 188.8.131.52.81
- linux-image-powerpc64-smp-lts-xenial - 184.108.40.206.81
To update your system, please follow these instructions: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/Upgrades.
After a standard system update you need to reboot your computer to make all the necessary changes.
ATTENTION: Due to an unavoidable ABI change the kernel updates have been given a new version number, which requires you to recompile and reinstall all third party kernel modules you might have installed. Unless you manually uninstalled the standard kernel metapackages (e.g. linux-generic, linux-generic-lts-RELEASE, linux-virtual, linux-powerpc), a standard system upgrade will automatically perform this as well.