USN-350-1: Thunderbird vulnerabilities
22 September 2006
A security issue affects these releases of Ubuntu and its derivatives:
- Ubuntu 5.10
This update upgrades Thunderbird from 1.0.8 to 220.127.116.11. This step was necessary since the 1.0.x series is not supported by upstream any more.
A buffer overflow has been discovered in the handling of .vcard files. By tricking a user into importing a malicious vcard into his contacts, this could be exploited to execute arbitrary code with the user’s privileges. (CVE-2006-3804)
The NSS library did not sufficiently check the padding of PKCS #1 v1.5 signatures if the exponent of the public key is 3 (which is widely used for CAs). This could be exploited to forge valid signatures without the need of the secret key. (CVE-2006-4340)
Jon Oberheide reported a way how a remote attacker could trick users into downloading arbitrary extensions with circumventing the normal SSL certificate check. The attacker would have to be in a position to spoof the victim’s DNS, causing them to connect to sites of the attacker’s choosing rather than the sites intended by the victim. If they gained that control and the victim accepted the attacker’s cert for the Mozilla update site, then the next update check could be hijacked and redirected to the attacker’s site without detection. (CVE-2006-4567)
The “enigmail” plugin and the translation packages have been updated to work with the new Thunderbird version.
The problem can be corrected by updating your system to the following package versions:
- Ubuntu 5.10
- mozilla-thunderbird - 18.104.22.168-0ubuntu0.5.10
- mozilla-thunderbird-enigmail - 2:0.94-0ubuntu0.5.10
- mozilla-thunderbird-inspector - 22.214.171.124-0ubuntu0.5.10
- mozilla-thunderbird-locale-ca - 1.5-ubuntu5.10
- mozilla-thunderbird-locale-de - 1.5-ubuntu5.10
- mozilla-thunderbird-locale-fr - 1.5-ubuntu5.10
- mozilla-thunderbird-locale-it - 1.5-ubuntu5.10
- mozilla-thunderbird-locale-nl - 1.5-ubuntu5.10
- mozilla-thunderbird-locale-pl - 1.5-ubuntu5.10
- mozilla-thunderbird-locale-uk - 1.5-ubuntu5.10
- mozilla-thunderbird-typeaheadfind - 126.96.36.199-0ubuntu0.5.10
To update your system, please follow these instructions: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/Upgrades.
After a standard system upgrade you need to restart Thunderbird to effect the necessary changes.
Please note that Thunderbird 1.0.8 in Ubuntu 5.04 is also affected by these problems. An update will be provided shortly.