USN-3522-2: Linux (Xenial HWE) vulnerability
9 January 2018
linux-lts-xenial, linux-aws vulnerability
A security issue affects these releases of Ubuntu and its derivatives:
- Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
Several security issues were fixed in the Linux kernel.
- linux-aws - Linux kernel for Amazon Web Services (AWS) systems
- linux-lts-xenial - Linux hardware enablement kernel from Xenial for Trusty
USN-3522-1 fixed vulnerabilities in the Linux kernel for Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. This update provides the corresponding updates for the Linux Hardware Enablement (HWE) kernel from Ubuntu 16.04 LTS for Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.
Jann Horn discovered that microprocessors utilizing speculative execution and indirect branch prediction may allow unauthorized memory reads via sidechannel attacks. This flaw is known as Meltdown. A local attacker could use this to expose sensitive information, including kernel memory. (CVE-2017-5754)
The problem can be corrected by updating your system to the following package versions:
- Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
- linux-image-4.4.0-1009-aws - 4.4.0-1009.9
- linux-image-4.4.0-108-generic - 4.4.0-108.131~14.04.1
- linux-image-4.4.0-108-lowlatency - 4.4.0-108.131~14.04.1
- linux-image-aws - 184.108.40.2069.9
- linux-image-generic-lts-xenial - 220.127.116.11.91
- linux-image-lowlatency-lts-xenial - 18.104.22.168.91
To update your system, please follow these instructions: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/Upgrades.
After a standard system update you need to reboot your computer to make all the necessary changes.
ATTENTION: Due to an unavoidable ABI change the kernel updates have been given a new version number, which requires you to recompile and reinstall all third party kernel modules you might have installed. Unless you manually uninstalled the standard kernel metapackages (e.g. linux-generic, linux-generic-lts-RELEASE, linux-virtual, linux-powerpc), a standard system upgrade will automatically perform this as well.