USN-3630-2: Linux kernel (HWE) vulnerability
24 April 2018
linux-hwe, linux-gcp, linux-oem vulnerability
A security issue affects these releases of Ubuntu and its derivatives:
- Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
The system could be made to crash under certain conditions.
- linux-gcp - Linux kernel for Google Cloud Platform (GCP) systems
- linux-hwe - Linux hardware enablement (HWE) kernel
- linux-oem - Linux kernel for OEM processors
USN-3630-1 fixed a vulnerability in the Linux kernel for Ubuntu 17.10. This update provides the corresponding updates for the Linux Hardware Enablement (HWE) kernel from Ubuntu 17.10 for Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.
It was discovered that the Broadcom UniMAC MDIO bus controller driver in the Linux kernel did not properly validate device resources. A local attacker could use this to cause a denial of service (system crash).
The problem can be corrected by updating your system to the following package versions:
- Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
- linux-image-4.13.0-1013-gcp - 4.13.0-1013.17
- linux-image-4.13.0-1024-oem - 4.13.0-1024.27
- linux-image-4.13.0-39-generic - 4.13.0-39.44~16.04.1
- linux-image-4.13.0-39-generic-lpae - 4.13.0-39.44~16.04.1
- linux-image-4.13.0-39-lowlatency - 4.13.0-39.44~16.04.1
- linux-image-gcp - 188.8.131.523.15
- linux-image-generic-hwe-16.04 - 184.108.40.206.58
- linux-image-generic-lpae-hwe-16.04 - 220.127.116.11.58
- linux-image-gke - 18.104.22.1683.15
- linux-image-lowlatency-hwe-16.04 - 22.214.171.124.58
- linux-image-oem - 126.96.36.1994.28
To update your system, please follow these instructions: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/Upgrades.
After a standard system update you need to reboot your computer to make all the necessary changes.
ATTENTION: Due to an unavoidable ABI change the kernel updates have been given a new version number, which requires you to recompile and reinstall all third party kernel modules you might have installed. Unless you manually uninstalled the standard kernel metapackages (e.g. linux-generic, linux-generic-lts-RELEASE, linux-virtual, linux-powerpc), a standard system upgrade will automatically perform this as well.