USN-3674-1: Linux kernel vulnerabilities
11 June 2018
A security issue affects these releases of Ubuntu and its derivatives:
- Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
Several security issues were fixed in the Linux kernel.
- linux - Linux kernel
It was discovered that the netfilter subsystem of the Linux kernel did not properly validate ebtables offsets. A local attacker could use this to cause a denial of service (system crash) or possibly execute arbitrary code. (CVE-2018-1068)
It was discovered that a NULL pointer dereference existed in the RDS (Reliable Datagram Sockets) protocol implementation in the Linux kernel. A local attacker could use this to cause a denial of service (system crash). (CVE-2018-7492)
Eyal Itkin discovered that the USB displaylink video adapter driver in the Linux kernel did not properly validate mmap offsets sent from userspace. A local attacker could use this to expose sensitive information (kernel memory) or possibly execute arbitrary code. (CVE-2018-8781)
Xingyuan Lin discovered that a out-of-bounds read existed in the USB Video Class (UVC) driver of the Linux kernel. A local attacker could use this to expose sensitive information (kernel memory). (CVE-2017-0627)
The problem can be corrected by updating your system to the following package versions:
- Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
- linux-image-3.13.0-151-generic - 3.13.0-151.201
- linux-image-3.13.0-151-generic-lpae - 3.13.0-151.201
- linux-image-3.13.0-151-lowlatency - 3.13.0-151.201
- linux-image-3.13.0-151-powerpc-e500 - 3.13.0-151.201
- linux-image-3.13.0-151-powerpc-e500mc - 3.13.0-151.201
- linux-image-3.13.0-151-powerpc-smp - 3.13.0-151.201
- linux-image-3.13.0-151-powerpc64-emb - 3.13.0-151.201
- linux-image-3.13.0-151-powerpc64-smp - 3.13.0-151.201
- linux-image-generic - 188.8.131.52.161
- linux-image-generic-lpae - 184.108.40.206.161
- linux-image-lowlatency - 220.127.116.11.161
- linux-image-powerpc-e500 - 18.104.22.168.161
- linux-image-powerpc-e500mc - 22.214.171.124.161
- linux-image-powerpc-smp - 126.96.36.199.161
- linux-image-powerpc64-emb - 188.8.131.52.161
- linux-image-powerpc64-smp - 184.108.40.206.161
To update your system, please follow these instructions: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/Upgrades.
After a standard system update you need to reboot your computer to make all the necessary changes.
ATTENTION: Due to an unavoidable ABI change the kernel updates have been given a new version number, which requires you to recompile and reinstall all third party kernel modules you might have installed. Unless you manually uninstalled the standard kernel metapackages (e.g. linux-generic, linux-generic-lts-RELEASE, linux-virtual, linux-powerpc), a standard system upgrade will automatically perform this as well.