USN-1485-1: AccountsService vulnerability
Ubuntu Security Notice USN-1485-1
28th June, 2012
A security issue affects these releases of Ubuntu and its derivatives:
- Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
- Ubuntu 11.10
AccountsService could be made to read arbitrary files as the administrator.
- accountsservice - query and manipulate user account information
Florian Weimer discovered that AccountsService incorrectly handled
privileges when copying certain files to the system cache directory. A
local attacker could exploit this issue to read arbitrary files, bypassing
The problem can be corrected by updating your system to the following package version:
- Ubuntu 12.04 LTS:
- accountsservice 0.6.15-2ubuntu9.1
- libaccountsservice0 0.6.15-2ubuntu9.1
- Ubuntu 11.10:
- accountsservice 0.6.14-1git1ubuntu1.2
- libaccountsservice0 0.6.14-1git1ubuntu1.2
To update your system, please follow these instructions: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/Upgrades.
After a standard system update you need to reboot your computer to make
all the necessary changes.