USN-3081-1: Tomcat vulnerability
Ubuntu Security Notice USN-3081-1
19th September, 2016
tomcat6, tomcat7, tomcat8 vulnerability
A security issue affects these releases of Ubuntu and its derivatives:
- Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
- Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
- Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
The system could be made to run programs as an administrator.
- tomcat6 - Servlet and JSP engine
- tomcat7 - Servlet and JSP engine
- tomcat8 - Servlet and JSP engine
Dawid Golunski discovered that the Tomcat init script incorrectly handled
creating log files. A remote attacker could possibly use this issue to
obtain root privileges. (CVE-2016-1240)
This update also reverts a change in behaviour introduced in USN-3024-1 by
setting mapperContextRootRedirectEnabled to True by default.
The problem can be corrected by updating your system to the following package version:
- Ubuntu 16.04 LTS:
- libtomcat8-java 8.0.32-1ubuntu1.2
- tomcat8 8.0.32-1ubuntu1.2
- Ubuntu 14.04 LTS:
- tomcat7 7.0.52-1ubuntu0.7
- libtomcat7-java 7.0.52-1ubuntu0.7
- Ubuntu 12.04 LTS:
- libtomcat6-java 6.0.35-1ubuntu3.8
- tomcat6 6.0.35-1ubuntu3.8
To update your system, please follow these instructions: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/Upgrades.
In general, a standard system update will make all the necessary changes.