USN-3244-1: GStreamer Base Plugins vulnerabilities
Ubuntu Security Notice USN-3244-1
27th March, 2017
gst-plugins-base0.10, gst-plugins-base1.0 vulnerabilities
A security issue affects these releases of Ubuntu and its derivatives:
- Ubuntu 16.10
- Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
- Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
- Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
GStreamer Base Plugins could be made to crash if it opened a specially crafted file.
- gst-plugins-base0.10 - GStreamer Plugins
- gst-plugins-base1.0 - GStreamer Plugins
Hanno Böck discovered that GStreamer Base Plugins did not correctly handle
certain malformed media files. If a user were tricked into opening a
crafted media file with a GStreamer application, an attacker could cause a
denial of service via application crash.
The problem can be corrected by updating your system to the following package version:
- Ubuntu 16.10:
- gstreamer1.0-plugins-base 1.8.3-1ubuntu1.1
- Ubuntu 16.04 LTS:
- gstreamer1.0-plugins-base 1.8.3-1ubuntu0.2
- Ubuntu 14.04 LTS:
- gstreamer1.0-plugins-base 1.2.4-1~ubuntu2.1
- gstreamer0.10-plugins-base 0.10.36-1.1ubuntu2.1
- Ubuntu 12.04 LTS:
- gstreamer0.10-plugins-base 0.10.36-1ubuntu0.2
To update your system, please follow these instructions: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/Upgrades.
In general, a standard system update will make all the necessary changes.