USN-3248-1: Linux kernel vulnerability
Ubuntu Security Notice USN-3248-1
29th March, 2017
linux, linux-ti-omap4 vulnerability
A security issue affects these releases of Ubuntu and its derivatives:
- Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
The system could be made to crash or run programs as an administrator.
- linux - Linux kernel
- linux-ti-omap4 - Linux kernel for OMAP4
It was discovered that the xfrm framework for transforming packets in the
Linux kernel did not properly validate data received from user space. A
local attacker could use this to cause a denial of service (system crash)
or execute arbitrary code with administrative privileges.
The problem can be corrected by updating your system to the following package version:
- Ubuntu 12.04 LTS:
- linux-image-powerpc-smp 220.127.116.11.140
- linux-image-3.2.0-125-generic-pae 3.2.0-125.168
- linux-image-omap4 18.104.22.1683.98
- linux-image-3.2.0-125-powerpc64-smp 3.2.0-125.168
- linux-image-generic 22.214.171.124.140
- linux-image-3.2.0-125-virtual 3.2.0-125.168
- linux-image-generic-pae 126.96.36.199.140
- linux-image-highbank 188.8.131.52.140
- linux-image-3.2.0-125-generic 3.2.0-125.168
- linux-image-3.2.0-125-omap 3.2.0-125.168
- linux-image-3.2.0-125-powerpc-smp 3.2.0-125.168
- linux-image-powerpc64-smp 184.108.40.206.140
- linux-image-omap 220.127.116.11.140
- linux-image-3.2.0-1503-omap4 3.2.0-1503.130
- linux-image-3.2.0-125-highbank 3.2.0-125.168
- linux-image-virtual 18.104.22.168.140
To update your system, please follow these instructions: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/Upgrades.
After a standard system update you need to reboot your computer to make
all the necessary changes.
ATTENTION: Due to an unavoidable ABI change the kernel updates have
been given a new version number, which requires you to recompile and
reinstall all third party kernel modules you might have installed.
Unless you manually uninstalled the standard kernel metapackages
(e.g. linux-generic, linux-generic-lts-RELEASE, linux-virtual,
linux-powerpc), a standard system upgrade will automatically perform
this as well.