USN-3322-1: Exim vulnerability
Ubuntu Security Notice USN-3322-1
19th June, 2017
A security issue affects these releases of Ubuntu and its derivatives:
- Ubuntu 17.04
- Ubuntu 16.10
- Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
- Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
Exim could be made to run programs as an administrator.
- exim4 - Exim is a mail transport agent
It was discovered that Exim did not properly deallocate memory when
processing certain command line arguments. A local attacker could use this
in conjunction with a vulnerability in the underlying kernel to possibly
execute arbitrary code and gain administrative privileges.
The problem can be corrected by updating your system to the following package version:
- Ubuntu 17.04:
- exim4-daemon-heavy 4.88-5ubuntu1.1
- exim4-daemon-light 4.88-5ubuntu1.1
- Ubuntu 16.10:
- exim4-daemon-heavy 4.87-3ubuntu1.2
- exim4-daemon-light 4.87-3ubuntu1.2
- Ubuntu 16.04 LTS:
- exim4-daemon-heavy 4.86.2-2ubuntu2.2
- exim4-daemon-light 4.86.2-2ubuntu2.2
- Ubuntu 14.04 LTS:
- exim4-daemon-heavy 4.82-3ubuntu2.3
- exim4-daemon-light 4.82-3ubuntu2.3
To update your system, please follow these instructions: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/Upgrades.
In general, a standard system update will make all the necessary changes.