USN-3328-1: Linux kernel vulnerability
Ubuntu Security Notice USN-3328-1
21st June, 2017
A security issue affects these releases of Ubuntu and its derivatives:
- Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
The system could be made to run programs as an administrator.
- linux - Linux kernel
It was discovered that the stack guard page for processes in the Linux
kernel was not sufficiently large enough to prevent overlapping with the
heap. An attacker could leverage this with another vulnerability to execute
arbitrary code and gain administrative privileges
The problem can be corrected by updating your system to the following package version:
- Ubuntu 16.04 LTS:
- linux-image-4.4.0-81-generic-lpae 4.4.0-81.104
- linux-image-powerpc-e500mc 126.96.36.199.87
- linux-image-4.4.0-81-powerpc64-emb 4.4.0-81.104
- linux-image-4.4.0-81-powerpc-e500mc 4.4.0-81.104
- linux-image-powerpc64-emb 188.8.131.52.87
- linux-image-4.4.0-81-generic 4.4.0-81.104
- linux-image-4.4.0-81-lowlatency 4.4.0-81.104
- linux-image-generic 184.108.40.206.87
- linux-image-powerpc-smp 220.127.116.11.87
- linux-image-4.4.0-81-powerpc-smp 4.4.0-81.104
- linux-image-generic-lpae 18.104.22.168.87
- linux-image-powerpc64-smp 22.214.171.124.87
- linux-image-4.4.0-81-powerpc64-smp 4.4.0-81.104
To update your system, please follow these instructions: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/Upgrades.
After a standard system update you need to reboot your computer to make
all the necessary changes.
ATTENTION: Due to an unavoidable ABI change the kernel updates have
been given a new version number, which requires you to recompile and
reinstall all third party kernel modules you might have installed.
Unless you manually uninstalled the standard kernel metapackages
(e.g. linux-generic, linux-generic-lts-RELEASE, linux-virtual,
linux-powerpc), a standard system upgrade will automatically perform
this as well.