USN-3338-1: Linux kernel vulnerabilities
Ubuntu Security Notice USN-3338-1
21st June, 2017
A security issue affects these releases of Ubuntu and its derivatives:
- Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
Several security issues were fixed in the Linux kernel.
- linux - Linux kernel
It was discovered that the stack guard page for processes in the Linux
kernel was not sufficiently large enough to prevent overlapping with the
heap. An attacker could leverage this with another vulnerability to execute
arbitrary code and gain administrative privileges (CVE-2017-1000364)
Jesse Hertz and Tim Newsham discovered that the Linux netfilter
implementation did not correctly perform validation when handling 32 bit
compatibility IPT_SO_SET_REPLACE events on 64 bit platforms. A local
unprivileged attacker could use this to cause a denial of service (system
crash) or execute arbitrary code with administrative privileges.
The problem can be corrected by updating your system to the following package version:
- Ubuntu 12.04 LTS:
- linux-image-powerpc-smp 18.104.22.168.142
- linux-image-3.2.0-128-virtual 3.2.0-128.173
- linux-image-3.2.0-128-generic-pae 3.2.0-128.173
- linux-image-generic 22.214.171.124.142
- linux-image-generic-pae 126.96.36.199.142
- linux-image-highbank 188.8.131.52.142
- linux-image-3.2.0-128-highbank 3.2.0-128.173
- linux-image-3.2.0-128-powerpc-smp 3.2.0-128.173
- linux-image-virtual 184.108.40.206.142
- linux-image-powerpc64-smp 220.127.116.11.142
- linux-image-3.2.0-128-omap 3.2.0-128.173
- linux-image-3.2.0-128-powerpc64-smp 3.2.0-128.173
- linux-image-omap 18.104.22.168.142
- linux-image-3.2.0-128-generic 3.2.0-128.173
To update your system, please follow these instructions: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/Upgrades.
After a standard system update you need to reboot your computer to make
all the necessary changes.
ATTENTION: Due to an unavoidable ABI change the kernel updates have
been given a new version number, which requires you to recompile and
reinstall all third party kernel modules you might have installed.
Unless you manually uninstalled the standard kernel metapackages
(e.g. linux-generic, linux-generic-lts-RELEASE, linux-virtual,
linux-powerpc), a standard system upgrade will automatically perform
this as well.