USN-3383-1: libsoup vulnerability
Ubuntu Security Notice USN-3383-1
10th August, 2017
A security issue affects these releases of Ubuntu and its derivatives:
- Ubuntu 17.04
- Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
- Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
Applications using libsoup could be made to crash or run programs as your login if it received specially crafted network traffic.
- libsoup2.4 - HTTP client/server library for GNOME
Aleksandar Nikolic discovered a stack based buffer overflow when
handling chunked encoding. An attacker could use this to cause a
denial of service or possibly execute arbitrary code.
The problem can be corrected by updating your system to the following package version:
- Ubuntu 17.04:
- libsoup2.4-1 2.56.0-2ubuntu0.1
- gir1.2-soup-2.4 2.56.0-2ubuntu0.1
- libsoup-gnome2.4-1 2.56.0-2ubuntu0.1
- Ubuntu 16.04 LTS:
- libsoup2.4-1 2.52.2-1ubuntu0.2
- gir1.2-soup-2.4 2.52.2-1ubuntu0.2
- libsoup-gnome2.4-1 2.52.2-1ubuntu0.2
- Ubuntu 14.04 LTS:
- libsoup2.4-1 2.44.2-1ubuntu2.2
- gir1.2-soup-2.4 2.44.2-1ubuntu2.2
- libsoup-gnome2.4-1 2.44.2-1ubuntu2.2
To update your system, please follow these instructions: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/Upgrades.
In general, a standard system update will make all the necessary changes.