USN-3400-1: Augeas vulnerability
Ubuntu Security Notice USN-3400-1
21st August, 2017
A security issue affects these releases of Ubuntu and its derivatives:
- Ubuntu 17.04
- Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
- Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
Augeas could be made to crash if it received specially crafted input.
- augeas - Configuration editing tool
It was discovered that Augeas incorrectly handled certain strings.
An attacker could use this issue to cause Augeas to crash, leading
to a denial of service, or possibly execute arbitrary code.
The problem can be corrected by updating your system to the following package version:
- Ubuntu 17.04:
- augeas-tools 1.6.0-0ubuntu3.1
- libaugeas0 1.6.0-0ubuntu3.1
- Ubuntu 16.04 LTS:
- augeas-tools 1.4.0-0ubuntu1.1
- libaugeas0 1.4.0-0ubuntu1.1
- Ubuntu 14.04 LTS:
- augeas-tools 1.2.0-0ubuntu1.3
- libaugeas0 1.2.0-0ubuntu1.3
To update your system, please follow these instructions: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/Upgrades.
In general, a standard system update will make all the necessary changes.