USN-3442-1: libXfont vulnerabilities
Ubuntu Security Notice USN-3442-1
10th October, 2017
libxfont, libxfont1, libxfont2 vulnerabilities
A security issue affects these releases of Ubuntu and its derivatives:
- Ubuntu 17.04
- Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
- Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
Several security issues were fixed in libXfont.
- libxfont - X11 font rasterisation library
- libxfont1 - X11 font rasterisation library
- libxfont2 - X11 font rasterisation library
It was discovered that libXfont incorrectly handled certain patterns in
PatternMatch. A local attacker could use this issue to cause libXfont to
crash, resulting in a denial of service, or possibly obtain sensitive
It was discovered that libXfont incorrectly handled certain malformed PCF
files. A local attacker could use this issue to cause libXfont to crash,
resulting in a denial of service, or possibly obtain sensitive information.
The problem can be corrected by updating your system to the following package version:
- Ubuntu 17.04:
- libxfont1 1:1.5.2-4ubuntu0.1
- libxfont2 1:2.0.1-3ubuntu0.1
- Ubuntu 16.04 LTS:
- libxfont1 1:1.5.1-1ubuntu0.16.04.3
- libxfont2 1:2.0.1-3~ubuntu16.04.2
- Ubuntu 14.04 LTS:
- libxfont1 1:1.4.7-1ubuntu0.3
To update your system, please follow these instructions: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/Upgrades.
After a standard system update you need to reboot your computer to make
all the necessary changes.