USN-3496-1: Python vulnerability
Ubuntu Security Notice USN-3496-1
28th November, 2017
A security issue affects these releases of Ubuntu and its derivatives:
- Ubuntu 17.04
- Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
- Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
Python could be made to run arbitrary code.
- python2.7 - An interactive high-level object-oriented language
It was discovered that Python incorrectly handled decoding certain strings.
An attacker could possibly use this issue to execute arbitrary code.
The problem can be corrected by updating your system to the following package version:
- Ubuntu 17.04:
- python2.7-minimal 2.7.13-2ubuntu0.1
- python2.7 2.7.13-2ubuntu0.1
- Ubuntu 16.04 LTS:
- python2.7-minimal 2.7.12-1ubuntu0~16.04.2
- python2.7 2.7.12-1ubuntu0~16.04.2
- Ubuntu 14.04 LTS:
- python2.7-minimal 2.7.6-8ubuntu0.4
- python2.7 2.7.6-8ubuntu0.4
To update your system, please follow these instructions: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/Upgrades.
In general, a standard system update will make all the necessary changes.