USN-1535-1: Linux kernel vulnerabilities
10 August 2012
A security issue affects these releases of Ubuntu and its derivatives:
- Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
Several security issues were fixed in the kernel.
- linux - Linux kernel
An error was discovered in the Linux kernel’s network TUN/TAP device implementation. A local user with access to the TUN/TAP interface (which is not available to unprivileged users until granted by a root user) could exploit this flaw to crash the system or potential gain administrative privileges. (CVE-2012-2136)
An error was discovered in the Linux kernel’s memory subsystem (hugetlb). An unprivileged local user could exploit this flaw to cause a denial of service (crash the system). (CVE-2012-2390)
The problem can be corrected by updating your system to the following package versions:
- Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
- linux-image-2.6.32-42-386 - 2.6.32-42.95
- linux-image-2.6.32-42-generic - 2.6.32-42.95
- linux-image-2.6.32-42-generic-pae - 2.6.32-42.95
- linux-image-2.6.32-42-ia64 - 2.6.32-42.95
- linux-image-2.6.32-42-lpia - 2.6.32-42.95
- linux-image-2.6.32-42-powerpc - 2.6.32-42.95
- linux-image-2.6.32-42-powerpc-smp - 2.6.32-42.95
- linux-image-2.6.32-42-powerpc64-smp - 2.6.32-42.95
- linux-image-2.6.32-42-preempt - 2.6.32-42.95
- linux-image-2.6.32-42-server - 2.6.32-42.95
- linux-image-2.6.32-42-sparc64 - 2.6.32-42.95
- linux-image-2.6.32-42-sparc64-smp - 2.6.32-42.95
- linux-image-2.6.32-42-versatile - 2.6.32-42.95
- linux-image-2.6.32-42-virtual - 2.6.32-42.95
To update your system, please follow these instructions: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/Upgrades.
After a standard system update you need to reboot your computer to make all the necessary changes.
ATTENTION: Due to an unavoidable ABI change the kernel updates have been given a new version number, which requires you to recompile and reinstall all third party kernel modules you might have installed. If you use linux-restricted-modules, you have to update that package as well to get modules which work with the new kernel version. Unless you manually uninstalled the standard kernel metapackages (e.g. linux-generic, linux-server, linux-powerpc), a standard system upgrade will automatically perform this as well.