USN-3763-1: Linux kernel vulnerability
11 September 2018
A security issue affects these releases of Ubuntu and its derivatives:
- Ubuntu 12.04 ESM
The system could be made to crash if it received specially crafted network traffic.
- linux - Linux kernel
Juha-Matti Tilli discovered that the TCP implementation in the Linux kernel performed algorithmically expensive operations in some situations when handling incoming packets. A remote attacker could use this to cause a denial of service.
The problem can be corrected by updating your system to the following package versions:
- Ubuntu 12.04 ESM
- linux-image-3.2.0-135-generic - 3.2.0-135.181
- linux-image-3.2.0-135-generic-pae - 3.2.0-135.181
- linux-image-3.2.0-135-highbank - 3.2.0-135.181
- linux-image-3.2.0-135-omap - 3.2.0-135.181
- linux-image-3.2.0-135-powerpc-smp - 3.2.0-135.181
- linux-image-3.2.0-135-powerpc64-smp - 3.2.0-135.181
- linux-image-3.2.0-135-virtual - 3.2.0-135.181
- linux-image-generic - 22.214.171.124.150
- linux-image-generic-pae - 126.96.36.199.150
- linux-image-highbank - 188.8.131.52.150
- linux-image-omap - 184.108.40.206.150
- linux-image-powerpc-smp - 220.127.116.11.150
- linux-image-powerpc64-smp - 18.104.22.168.150
- linux-image-virtual - 22.214.171.124.150
To update your system, please follow these instructions: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/Upgrades.
After a standard system update you need to reboot your computer to make all the necessary changes.
ATTENTION: Due to an unavoidable ABI change the kernel updates have been given a new version number, which requires you to recompile and reinstall all third party kernel modules you might have installed. Unless you manually uninstalled the standard kernel metapackages (e.g. linux-generic, linux-generic-lts-RELEASE, linux-virtual, linux-powerpc), a standard system upgrade will automatically perform this as well.