USN-3106-2: Linux kernel (Xenial HWE) vulnerability
Ubuntu Security Notice USN-3106-2
19th October, 2016
A security issue affects these releases of Ubuntu and its derivatives:
- Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
The system could be made to run programs as an administrator.
- linux-lts-xenial - Linux hardware enablement kernel from Xenial for Trusty
USN-3106-1 fixed vulnerabilities in the Linux kernel for Ubuntu 16.04
LTS. This update provides the corresponding updates for the Linux
Hardware Enablement (HWE) kernel from Ubuntu 16.04 LTS for Ubuntu
It was discovered that a race condition existed in the memory manager of
the Linux kernel when handling copy-on-write breakage of private read-only
memory mappings. A local attacker could use this to gain administrative
The problem can be corrected by updating your system to the following package version:
- Ubuntu 14.04 LTS:
- linux-image-4.4.0-45-powerpc64-emb 4.4.0-45.66~14.04.1
- linux-image-4.4.0-45-powerpc-smp 4.4.0-45.66~14.04.1
- linux-image-4.4.0-45-lowlatency 4.4.0-45.66~14.04.1
- linux-image-4.4.0-45-generic 4.4.0-45.66~14.04.1
- linux-image-4.4.0-45-generic-lpae 4.4.0-45.66~14.04.1
- linux-image-4.4.0-45-powerpc-e500mc 4.4.0-45.66~14.04.1
- linux-image-4.4.0-45-powerpc64-smp 4.4.0-45.66~14.04.1
To update your system, please follow these instructions: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/Upgrades.
After a standard system update you need to reboot your computer to make
all the necessary changes.
ATTENTION: Due to an unavoidable ABI change the kernel updates have
been given a new version number, which requires you to recompile and
reinstall all third party kernel modules you might have installed.
Unless you manually uninstalled the standard kernel metapackages
(e.g. linux-generic, linux-generic-lts-RELEASE, linux-virtual,
linux-powerpc), a standard system upgrade will automatically perform
this as well.