USN-3401-1: TeX Live vulnerability
Ubuntu Security Notice USN-3401-1
22nd August, 2017
A security issue affects these releases of Ubuntu and its derivatives:
- Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
- Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
TeX Live could be made to run programs as your login if it opened a specially crafted file.
- texlive-base - TeX Live: Essential programs and files
It was discovered that TeX Live incorrectly handled certain
system commands. If a user were tricked into processing a
specially crafted TeX file, a remote attacker could execute
The problem can be corrected by updating your system to the following package version:
- Ubuntu 16.04 LTS:
- texlive-base 2015.20160320-1ubuntu0.1
- texlive-latex-base 2015.20160320-1ubuntu0.1
- Ubuntu 14.04 LTS:
- texlive-base 2013.20140215-1ubuntu0.1
- texlive-latex-base 2013.20140215-1ubuntu0.1
To update your system, please follow these instructions: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/Upgrades.
In general, a standard system update will make all the necessary changes.